We got back from the beach on August 2nd
and the countdown to the beginning of school officially began.
I knew I only had a few weeks left to
pack in the fun before we were back to "real life."
We took so many trips this summer
that I was sort of looking forward to having a schedule again.
But I also knew I was really going to miss
having Ethan home with me all day
and the flexibility to sleep in
(not that my boys ever do that).
So, before summer break was officially over,
here's what we did...
went on a few bike rides in the neighborhood
took the boys to the airport overlook for the first time
went to Pelicans for some sno balls
(more than once, actually)
played in the sprinkler with friends
had a pretend tea party
with leftover BBQ containers and a frisbee as the tray
he's really enjoying his tea
We took the boys on their very first camping trip!
Pop and Nana found two awesome campsites right on the lake.
The campsites also had these really cool
rhododendron "caves" that the kids loves exploring.
"helping" set up the tent
I love watching these two together.
They were playing with these rhododendron leaves
and having their own little conversation.
Owen searching for bears with his binoculars
Owen LOVED cooking his hotdog over the fire
And Ethan LOVED drinking this orange soda
straight from the can all by himself.
one of the best things about camping - dirty feet
SMORES!
It was so nice having campsites right on the lake
cause we only had to walk a few feet to go fishing!
Pop and Ethan enjoying the fire
Ethan saw Pop laying his head head back to "relax"
so he did the same thing
helping Pop go get clean water
climbing trees
We had quite a bit of rain during the weekend,
so we took a trip to the Mast General Store
to get out of the rain for a while.
The kids enjoyed picking out candy at the candy store.
trying to decide which piece to eat first
It didn't take long to make that decision.
picnic lunch in the rain
(thankful for the covered shelter)
Owen couldn't help himself
their little "performance" on the stage
napping in the tent during a rainstorm is the best
found a little dry spot to play connect four
walking to the boat dock
found a snake skin
Before we left the mountains, we treated ourselves
to a meal at the Daniel Boone Inn.
Cara licked the chocolate off her dessert plate.
I think we all did.
Owen giving Anna a "hug"
Poor Anna.
Ethan was practicing his crab walk.
After cleaning up all our camping equipment,
we decided to keep the little tent set up in the playroom for a while.
The boys love reading stories at night with their flashlights.
I'm now realizing I probably should have split this into two posts.
But I already uploaded all the pictures, so here goes...
We spent so much time traveling this summer
that these "3 Musketeers" didn't get to hang out
as much as they did during the school year.
I could tell they really missed each other.
A few days before school started,
Ethan and I had a Mommy-Ethan day.
He chose Baxters Bunch, of course.
And then we met his friend, Elise, for ice cream.
It was a perfect day -- Baxter's Bunch, ice cream and Elise
all in the same day!
We went to our favorite splash park in Charlotte.
I wish I could capture just how much Ethan enjoys this place -
I love watching him weave in and out,
sometimes dodging the sprays and at other times
purposefully walking straight into the water to let it hit him in the face.
playing at Pop and Nana's neighborhood pool
and the YMCA pool
blowing bubbles with Jessie
Ethan sees other kids hold their noses to go under water,
so he was doing this to try it out himself.
And then this boy
had his first day of 1st Grade.
To take my mind off of missing Ethan,
Owen and I went to get the car cleaned.
Between a road trip to KY with 4 kids,
a trip to the beach
and a rainy, muddy camping trip,
my car was in much need of a cleaning.
And since I was also in need of a new cell phone,
we took a trip to Verizon where I got my very first smart phone!
Ethan rode the bus home on the second day of school
and walked up the stairs on our back porch all by himself!
and walked up the stairs on our back porch all by himself!
Owen loves hanging out with his best bud, Willie.
When Tim went to Romania earlier this year,
he met some really nice guys who also work for Habitat.
They were traveling around the US and stopped by for dinner.
The boys had so much fun being entertained by Mario and Ionutz.
Our last time at the splash park before it closed for the summer.
Ethan pushing the cart at Target
These two fight like brothers,
but they love like brothers too.
It's so sweet.
Owen at the park with his other best bud, Luke
Owen and I love waiting for Ethan to get off the bus.
It's one of our favorite times in the day.
saying "goodbye" to Ms. Debbie
one more afternoon in the sprinkler
I don't know how it's possible,
but Owen is now old enough for preschool.
Here he is at his "meet the teacher" day.
I had to carry him literally kicking, screaming and crying
into the building - he thought I was going to leave him there that day.
But by the end of our meeting he was much better.
Owen and I had a little Mommy-Owen date
in preparation for him starting preschool.
I took him to the Rock Hill Children's Museum.
This was his first time at a children's museum and he loved it!
Labor Day Weekend at the pool
Ethan loves watching dead bugs float along in the pool.
I don't know if he realizes they're dead.
I think he believes they're just swimming with him.
So I guess I can now say that summer is officially over.
It's been my favorite one yet.


























































No comments:
Post a Comment