Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Back at School!


Ethan had his first day back at preschool last Thursday.  He missed the actual first day of school because he was sick, so he was very excited to get to go on Thursday morning.




He couldn't wait to see his teachers




and all his friends!




He walked right up to the door and was all smiles...




...until we got to Ms. Moree's classroom.  

Ms. Moree was Ethan's teacher last year, but this year he has a new teacher.  This summer Ms. Moree called to tell me she thought it would be best to move Ethan to a different classroom.  She felt it would be good for him to be in a class with other children who were more verbal and thought this would be a good challenge for him.  I told him he was getting a new teacher, but I guess it didn't register until we got to his old classroom and he started to walk in and we said, "no, your classroom is down the hall."  He got very upset - face turned red, planted his feet and would not move, started to get tears in his eyes.  I wasn't expecting this at all.  It lasted a few minutes until his new teacher said she wanted to show him his new classroom and said something that peeked his interested enough to continue walking.  I took this picture after his little fit.  As you can tell, he continued walking, but wasn't too happy.




Once he got into his new classroom, he seemed a lot better.  And his new teacher said that he had a WONDERFUL first day!  The next day he told me his new teacher was pretty.  Being at school last year helped Ethan flourish in ways I could not have expected.  I think he's going to have a good year this year and I'm specifically hopeful for increased social skills and language development.  

We're so proud of Ethan and know that he's up for the challenge!


1 comment:

Becky Sink said...

Thank you Terre and Tim for posting about Ethan's first day back. As Grandma, what I see even with some sadness is what I have seen in him since he was that small baby....he is a trooper. He has so much drive inside to find a way to let shine through as much as he can the smart little boy that he is.

Mom and Grandma